Friday, November 11, 2011

Cakes

This past summer I made the desserts for eight or so weddings in Crested Butte. For some odd reason, making wedding cakes is really stressful! It’s not like any pictures are taken or anything. Other than one experience where the finished top tier ended up falling on my face and neck (no pictures were taken of that experience and the cake was salvaged as best as it could be…) they went well. I rented the commercial kitchen at the local fairgrounds which was an incredible space, but it sucks to load and unload your half your kitchen into the car, into the space, bake, and then reload. But, it’s simply not possible to create a professional, large pastry order in your home kitchen. Especially when cat hair and pathetic dusting is involved.  I really am not sure what next summer’s baking will bring. Nick and I didn’t really miss the work of the summer markets, and I don’t know if I just want to make cakes… I have a bug in my bonnet to create a little bakery cart and hit the streets of CB a few days a week. We’ll see what happens. Until then, here are a few pics from some of my summer cakes and “wedding dessert buffets”.






1 comment: